This page is divided into four categories: Sites related to
Star Trek (including Fan Fiction), general
Zoos/Nature, and Travel. These are sites on which I've wasted many a happy hour when I should have been working on my (now PhD) thesis!
These are sites which I use to get Star Trek news. Warning! These sites are spoiler and graphics heavy. If you don't like either, avoid them.
I am also trying to build up a semi-comprehensive list of fanfic sites. At the moment, I'm concentrating on DS9. It's my favorite show, and focussing on one series helps me organize my acquisitions a little better. If you have a Star Trek fanfic site (DS9 or otherwise), or know of one, that you would like to add here, please e-mail me at
- Star Trek:Continuum The official Paramount site. Has downloadable previews to the following week's episode.
- TrekWeb.com Large archive of Trek info.
- The Great Link Britain's largest Star Trek news site. Very complex. Lots of frames, but worth it.
- Trek Nation Latest Trek news and episode reviews.
- Vidiot's Guide to Star Trek Airdates and press info. It's smaller than in the glory days before Viacom's rampage across the Web, but it still has a lot of early-breaking news. Has info for other shows as well.
- SevTrek Ongoing comic strip that spoofs Star Trek. Very funny.
- Sid City The Official Alexander Siddig Fan Club website. Used to be called, "The Doctor's Exchange." Includes a large fanfic archive.
- The Star Trek Collective Spoilers and images site.
- T'n'T's Star Trek Adventures Weekend on the Promenade 1998 info.
- Star Trek Site Database Another Trek archive site. Multi-series, includes fanfic.
Fan Fiction Archives
Other Joe stories
- Janeen's Joe and Methos Page Janeen's archive of Joe and/or Methos stories by various authors. Varying ratings.
- Break the Day Story by Ecolea. When Methos is caught up in the World Trade Center disaster, Joe and Mac must find a way to lead him back to sanity. This is Rated R and is very intense. Please heed the rating on this one.
- Jette's Place Jette's fanfic archive. Includes a het Joe romance series. Joe also figures prominently in the Annette Daniels Chronicles.
- Conversation at Joe's Teresa's multi-author archive, based on a single theme--every story is set in Joe's Bar.
- JoeStories Archive Raine's (formerly Alice in Stonyland) archive of Joe stories. At over 100 entries, this is the largest, and widest-ranging, of the archives here, so please heed any warnings or ratings on individual stories.
Other Methos series
- You're In My Heart Methos and Amanda series by Jo and Susan, mostly set in the present day, which recounts their adventures over the centuries.
- What's An Honorable Man? Four-part Methos chronicle, by Yvette, which starts in the 20th century and follows the Old Man and a lost love through several centuries into the future.
- Highlander: The Methos Chronicles Methos series, by Mina-Clare, based in the present day, which follows his adventures (with flashbacks to previous lives) and pairs him up with the likes of Hugh Fitzcairn and his Immortal ex-wife Rose.
- Hope: Cassandra's Story Cassandra series, by Janeen, telling her story over the ages and her ongoing, troubled relationship with Methos. Mainly set in present time, extending several centuries into the future.
- Changing of the Guard Ecolea's Highlander/Stargate crossover tosses Methos to the tender mercies of Colonel O'Neill and SG-1 (It's a draw, most of the time). Set in the present time, but with forays into the past (not flashbacks, real time travel). [This is her entries in the 7th Dimension archive, so you'll have to scroll down to reach them.]
- The Methos (and Kronos) Journals Xenon tells how one friendship caused five millennia of murder, mayhem and major property damage. And no, I'm not talking about Duncan and Fitz. Starts in 3000 BCE and continues up to the present time.
- alt.startrek.creative newsgroup. Most of the latest Star Trek fanfic on the web is posted here, first.
- alt.startrek.creative archive
- alt.tv.highlander.creative newsgroup for Highlander fanfic of all types.
- The Alt.TV.Highlander.Creative Web Site Webpage for ATH, including links to major Highlander archives and webrings.
- Deja News General archive for newsgroup messages. If a story or message was posted on a newsgroup and your server dropped it, you can find it here. I refuse to give up and call it Google until Google actually gives us a decent interface to replace Deja's from before the takeover. Internet mortmain is no fun and no fair.
- Fanfiction.Net Huge archive/bboard for fanfiction of all types and genres.
- Yahoo! Groups Listserv generation site (originally called "Egroups") that has several Trek fanfic listservs on it. Recently gutted by the Yahoo takeover and fears of copyright theft, though some lists have revived.
- RIME RelayNet, International Message Exchange. A lesser known listserv site, used by some fanfic groups who recently left Egroups.
- Resources for Medical Fanfiction Writing Great site for checking out medical facts in your writing.
- Mark Stanley's Page! Gay/Lesbian/Bi Star Trek fanfic and links. His 'Marky-Sue' challenge story is priceless.
- Star Trek-Infinity U.S.S. Infinity stories (MIS).
- The Rob Morris Story Archive Rob is the only writer I know who can make Ghidorah (of Godzilla fame) the supervillain of his ongoing TOS tales and make it work. He also writes Highlander, DS9, and MASH fanfic.
- Djinn's Star Trek and X-Files Fanfic Lair Trek stories focussing on Christine Chapel and Spock, as well as X-Files fanfic. If you like your Dr. Chapel non-wimpy, definitely check out this site.
- cds218's Fan Fiction Page Star Trek, X-Files, Buffy, and Black Sheep Squadron fanfic, as well as original detective stories. Includes an excellent post-war DS9 story involving Bashir and LaForge.
- Unbound Webpage for Seema, current (2001) winner of the ASC Alara Rogers Award for Best Author.
- The Muses Sector Group of established beta-readers for all Trek series.
- Camp of the Horsemen Excellent Highlander fanfic centering on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Kronos, Caspian, Silas, and (of course) Methos. This is the new URL.
- The Seventh Dimension: Highlander Fanfiction Archive Huge Highlander fanfic archive (3000-plus stories). Here be lots o' slash, so watch your step.
- Ather's Fiction Library Multiple author archive of Highlander stories, compiled by a single editor (Yep. You guessed it. That would be Athers).
- Janine's Highlander Fanfiction Janeen's main fanfiction archive, including work by other authors and a Joe and Methos page.
- Methos.org Technically, this isn't really a fanfic site, but more a very clever (and well-set-up) collection of information, partial transcripts, pics, and sound files about Methos, AKA ROG-Really Old Guy (it took me much too long to figure out that particulary acronym. Premature senility does not become me.). However, the first person 'Adam Pierson's Homepage' comes very, very close. Call it 'multimedia fanfic'.
- Highlander Fanfictions Large collection of French language Highlander fanfic. Includes a small selection of English language stories, as well.
- Phoenix Virtual Television Online network of fanfic virtual series for cancelled television shows.
- TheQueenOfSwordsFanfic Yahoo! Groups fanfic list for The Queen of Swords TV show.
- Manzana Core Queen of Swords Fanfic Archive and Episode Guide.
- Channel QoS-VS The Virtual Third Season of The Queen of Swords (and you thought it had been canceled. Ha!). Includes the Virtual Second Season archive.
The Original Series
The Next Generation
Deep Space Nine
- Carolann's DS9 Fanfic Page Carolann has several interesting Bashir stories, as well as an ongoing tale about a sympathetic changeling named Kail.
- The Edge of the Frontier
Includes a mindblowing DS9 story set in Auschwitz called "Oswiecim," and the sequel to the The Nightbird's story 'The Exile'. Well worth the read.
- A Tribute to Garak and Bashir Fanfic that centers around the DS9 friendship between Garak and Dr. Bashir and the Paris/Torres romance on Voyager. Also provides an internal link to several other Star Trek and Babylon 5 fanfic links and stories by various authors.
- The Ultimate J&J Page Includes the most comprehensive story archive of Bashir/Jadzia Dax stories around. For some reason, the main page is more-or-less permanently unable to download, so this link goes straight to the fanfic archive (which loads up just fine), instead.
- Lady Kardasi's Domain If you don't like slash or Treksmut, avoid this one. If, however, you like strange Cardassian, or Spock, tales, click here. Includes the archive to "Scaly Tales", and online Cardassian fanfic 'zine.
- The Dr. Julian Bashir Fan Fiction Archive
- The DS9 Bistro DS9 news and Odo/Kira stories.
- Bleep Canon No, that's not really what the site is called, but for those of tender minds, I euphemized. Fun, bloody-minded fanzine/list.
- Damar, Hero of Cardassia Very interesting stories that explore sympathetically, but realistically, Damar's transformation from thug to freedom fighter.
- Matt's Musings Mostly Deep Space 9 fanfic that explores Section 31 and the political maneuverings behind the scenes of the Dominion War.
- This and That Comprehensive list of sites containing DS9 fanfic, including the number of stories on each site archive.
- What You Come Back To DS9 virtual eighth season.
- JuPiter Station Huge Janeway/Paris fanfic archive.
- DangerMom’s Home Page Emphasis on Paris/Torres stories, with links to other Voyager sites. Includes "Fan Fiction's Ten Commandments", which should be required reading for all aspiring fanfic writers (or, for that matter, lurkers).
Return to Top
This section is a bit of a grab-bag of guilty pleasures. Seriously, though, what female Star Wars or Indiana Jones fan could resist a site called The Harrison Ford Worship Page?
Return to Top
All of these sites concern nature and science. Some are magazines. Some are cable network homepages. Some are webpages for zoos, aquariums, or environmental organizations. What can I say? I'm a sucker for environmental causes.
- Zoos Worldwide Guide to zoos around the world.
- Zoos and Aquariums of AZA American Zoos and Aquariums Association homepage.
- The Roger Williams Park Zoo Zoo in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Roger Williams Park Museum Museum, also in Providence.
- Vancouver Aquarium
- Greater Vancouver Zoo
- Baltimore Zoo
- Baltimore Aquarium
- The Oklahoma Zoo
- Northeastern Wisconsin Zoo
- The Louisville Zoological Garden
- The Electronic Zoo
- The New England Aquarium
- Australasian Regional Association of Zoological Parks and Aquaria
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
- Australian Aquaria and Zoos
- African Wildlife Foundation
- Environmental Defense Fund Worldwide
- The Nature Conservancy
(offers a screen saver)
- World Wildlife Fund
- Sierra Club
- Astronomy Magazine
- The Discovery Channel
- CatFancy Magazine
- Discover Magazine
- Scientific American
- Science Service (Science News)
- The National Audubon Society
- Steve Martin's Natural Encounters Inc.
- University of Alaska Museum
- Denali National Park Page
- St. Andrews Aquarium
- Edinburgh Zoo
- Chester Zoo
- Zoological Society of London
- Barcelona Zoo
- L'Aquarium de Barcelona Barcelona Aquarium, advertised as the largest aquarium in Europe.
- Revista AquaTIC Online aquaculture magazine based in Zaragoza, Spain. In Spanish (Castillian).
- Noctua's Universe Amateur astronomy and Ham Radio site.
- The Tornado Project Online Facts and myths about tornados. Includes a section about stormchasing.
- The Exploratorium Website for science museum based in San Francisco.
- E-Museum Cybermuseum from the Minnesota State University. Includes exhibits and cafeteria (ancient recipes cookbook).
- International Aquaculture Webring of aqualculture sites worldwide.
- The Talk.Origins Archive Archive for Usenet newsgroup Talk.Origins, devoted to discussion of origins, both biological (evolution vs. creationism) and physical (cosmology).
- The Human Origins Project Smithsonian Institution research program in paleoanthropology.
- Vancouver Aquarium
- Greater Vancouver Zoo
- Glasgow Zoo Park This appears to be an older version of the now-defunct Glasgow Zoo's webpage. Why it's still up is beyond me. Glasgow Zoo was closed down in September 2003 following a long and nasty battle over allegations of bankruptcy and animal abuse. One group in particular, Advocates for Animals, really had it in for the zoo. Supposedly, the Glasgow City Council cutting off the zoo's funding in 1998 had nothing to do with the zoo's subsequent, and catastrophic, decline. The zoo staff were just mean and nasty people who enjoyed torturing the animals in their care. Uh huh. Sure. There's nothing like watching a bunch of hysterics make their organisation's reputation on the bones of some unfortunate animals to make one understand why environmentalists are so hated in some circles.
Being a lifelong environmentalist, myself, I have certainly seen zoo practices that make me wince (some of the enclosures in Barcelona Zoo leap to mind). In a perfect world, I'd say that zoos were bad. However, I've also lived in Africa. Anybody who thinks that zoos are worse than the almost nonexistent habitat many wild animals have to share with the humans who are enthusiastically hunting them to extinction is living in a very nice fantasy land. When I visited Glasgow Zoo in the winter of 1999-2000, what I saw was a group of folks who were struggling with almost no money to give the animals under their care a decent life. Absolutely nobody, from the Glasgow City Council to the Advocates for Animals, seems to have given them any help in doing that. Instead, we got to watch the zoo deteriorate to a dangerous state while the groups that should have helped it threw rocks. Now that the zoo has finally closed, AFA is complaining about the staff's disposition of their animals. As if it's a big surprise to this supposedly well-informed animal rights group that it's almost impossible to find homes for an entire zoo's worth of animals. Can we say "no-win scenario", here? I'd just like to say: Nice going, guys.
Return to Top
- The Concrete Cave: Announcements and discussion list for my writing and my cowriter's.
- The Stolen Briefcase: Discussion list for the CBC crime series, "Intelligence".
- Beauseant: Discussion list about the Knights Templar, their history and legends.
- Templars in Iberia: Discussion list about the Knights Templar in Spain and Portugal.
- RPCVs Unlimited: Discussion list for Returned Peace Corps Volunteers who are looking to work overseas.
You are visitor
This page was last updated on 7/23/2008